Saturday 27 December 2014

Hockney, Printmaker

at the Dulwich Picture Gallery.

I must confess, I like his early work the best.   He didn't get on with the Royal College of Art establishment and they threatened to throw him out - one of the prints here is a mock graduation certificate he made himself - you have to admire that cheek and confidence. If you don't like my work, I will award my own degree, up yours...

He started to use the print room because it was empty, and you could use as much free paper as you like.

(This makes me envious - in recent years there has been an explosion of interest in printmaking and open access sessions usually mean queuing up to use the press. I dream of a lovely empty print studio where you can take your time.)

Then when he left he visited New York and made a picaresque series of etchings of his adventures based on Hogarth's the Rakes Progress. These are great, and technically brilliant.

Dulwich Picture Gallery has good shows, but is a pain in the arse to get to. Unless you are a toff that lives in Dulwich, 

No comments:

Post a Comment